Ready in 50 minutes (including marinate time) • Makes 1 serving
- 4 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup Herb Marinade (see bonus recipe below)
- 2 cups mesclun greens, rinsed
- ½ cup navy beans, rinsed
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade (stack leaves and cut into small ribbons)
- 2 tbsp Herb Marinade, reserved for dressing
- 1 heirloom tomato, coarsely diced
- Prepare marinade.
- Pound chicken with a mallet to flatten. Place in a small bowl. Cover with ¼ cup marinade, plus enough water to cover chicken completely. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Heat a medium skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken and marinade to the skillet and cook until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 15 minutes.
- Place washed greens on a dinner plate. Top with beans.
- Remove chicken from skillet. Set on a cutting board and slice into thin strips. Place atop greens and beans. Sprinkle with basil leaves and reserved marinade.
- Place heirloom tomatoes around the plate. Serve.
Nutrients per serving (about 3 cups):
Calories: 386, Total Fats: 12 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 66 mg, Sodium: 535 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 35 g, Dietary Fiber: 10 g, Sugars: 7 g, Protein: 36 g, Iron: 5 mg
$5.78 per serving
SHOPPING TIP: If the greens look wilted, ask the farmer for a fresher bunch. Chances are, they’ll have more to offer if it’s early in the day.
This marinade is a great way to use up all of your herbs!
Ready in 5 minutes • Makes 9 servings
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Blend all ingredients in a blender. Pour into a mason jar to store. Use as a dressing or protein marinade. One serving equals two tablespoons.